HCi3 Grant Program
The goal of the HCi3 Grant Program is to provide grants for innovative and effective projects that seek to reduce greenhouse gas emission (GHG) sources in the Halifax Regional Municipality. The program aims to support a broad range of climate solutions while unlocking shared benefits for local communities.
HCi3 has available grant funding up to $440,000 for 2022 and grant funding is available up to $50,000 per project (larger grants will be considered). The program will cover up to 80% of total project costs with a minimum of 20% of the project costs being covered through matching funds or in-kind contributions from sources other than the Federal Government.
The Grant Program Guidelines provide more information on the eligibility requirements and program parameters to assist applicants in ensuring their project will be a good fit for the HCi3 Grant Program. Evaluation criteria can be found in the Grant Program Scorecard.
Potential projects must tackle greenhouse gas emission reductions through addressing at least one of the following challenge statements.
- Scaling deep energy retrofits using new retrofit models such as modular or prefabricated technologies.
- Deploying electric mobility in communities or organizations that are underserved, through the shared economy (i.e., access to shared electric vehicles and/or charging stations).
- Developing electric vehicle ready plans to guide comprehensive installations for charging in multi-unit residential building and/or those buildings or dwellings without access to a driveway or garage.
- Building community led renewable energy solutions, such as shared solar and mobilizing resources. Ensuring marginalized and under-served communities benefit from these types of projects.
- Integrating solar systems, storage, and micro-grids to recognize shared benefits such as shaving peak demand and increasing resiliency in buildings.
- Community-led climate action initiatives. Projects and initiatives should be led by community, based on the needs and interests within a community around climate action. Projects can include engagement, awareness, and skills/capacity development, ensuring community partnerships and connections are formed to share resources, training, knowledge, and solutions.
Grant Program Timeline
February 7, 2022 – Round one grants are announced and Expressions of Interest open
February 16, 2022 – Introductory Grant Program webinar/workshop
March 11, 2022 – Expressions of Interest close
April 14, 2022 – Full Application deadline
End of May 2022 – Funding committed to successful grant applicants
Want to learn more?
HCi3 will host a webinar to provide an opportunity to learn more about the 2022 Grant Program including the eligibility requirements, application scorecard, application process with time to ask and answer questions.
The webinar will take place on February 16, 2022, from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. AST. register for the webinar here. A recording of the webinar will be uploaded for those unable to attend.
Please reach out to the HCi3 team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss your proposed project or have any questions about the program and application process.
Ready to Submit your Expression of Interest
All Expressions of Interest must meet the basic eligibility criteria outlined in the Grant Program Guidelines. You can submit a completed EOI Application Form directly to HCi3 staff by emailing it to email@example.com prior to the deadline of March 11, 2022. We encourage all applicants to reach out to HCi3 while developing their project idea and completing the EOI Form.