Transitioning to a low-carbon future in offshore oil and gas
Offshore Deployment Program will further position the offshore oil and gas sector as a leader in Canada’s transition to a low carbon future
Apply for interest-free repayable funding to reduce GHG emissions and contribute to Canada’s clean energy future.
The ERF Offshore Deployment Program:
- Supports projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Advances projects that improve the environmental performance of oil spill monitoring, detection and response activities
- Offers repayable financing to support Canada’s offshore oil and gas sector
- Offers favourable repayment options over five years
The ERF Offshore Deployment Program will help ensure that investments in deployable technologies continue across Canada’s offshore sector despite the unprecedented challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic and global oil price instability. This will maintain jobs and opportunities for Canadians while positioning industry to keep up with and lead the global energy transition, making Canada more globally competitive in a post-pandemic environment.
The new fund complements the $320 million in funding the Government of Canada provided as part of an agreement reached with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador to support Canadians with offshore energy jobs, in response to the significant economic and financial distress.
2020 Intake Period
Request for proposals opens – November 9, 2020
January 31: Submission deadline
February: Assessment of proposals
March: Selection of Projects and notification of applicants
March: Initiate Contribution Agreements (CA)
March 31, 2022 - All funding allocated
Steps to apply for ERF funding
To apply for ERF-Offshore Deployment Program funding, applicants are required to submit a complete application form and all requested supporting documentation.
Full details on the application process are in the Applicant’s Guide (PDF, 1.35 MB).
Please contact us by email to request a copy of the application form.
Completed applications should be submitted prior to the submission deadline of January 31, 2021. Proposals received after the deadline will not be eligible for funding consideration.
Note: the maximum size of email attachments to Natural Resources Canada is 10MB. If the submission exceeds the maximum, the applicant may forward their files in a series of emails with the same subject line. Natural Resources Canada is not responsible for the security of the files during transmission.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the Offshore Deployment Program if they have any questions about the application process or content required to better define their Project Proposal.
1. Who can apply?
Companies and organizations who operate in, or directly support, upstream oil and gas in the Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador offshore area are eligible to apply for the ERF’s $42 million Offshore Deployment Program
2. Determine your eligibility
Eligible activities include:
- Projects that result in the reduction or elimination of greenhouse gas and other pollution emissions
- Projects that result in measurable environmental performance improvements, particularly in relation to monitoring of spills or unintended release, detection, and response
3. Intake period
- Program proposals will be accepted beginning November 9, 2020
- The application period will close on January 31, 2021 at 11:59 PM (PST)
4. Request an application form
Download a read-only version of the application form
(PDF, 864 KB)
To request an editable version of the application, please email the Offshore Deployment Program.
5. Download the Applicant’s Guide
Download the Applicant’s Guide
(PDF, 1.35 MB)
6. Submit your application
Please submit completed applications to email@example.com prior to the submission deadline of January 31, 2021.
Please click here to view on NRCAN's website.