Start: Wednesday, March 04, 2020 at 09:00
End: Wednesday, March 04, 2020 at 16:00
Registration starts at 0830.
Date And Time
Wed, 4 March 2020
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM NST
Delta Hotel St. John's Conference Centre
120 Gower Street
St. John's, NL A1C 6K4
This is an opportunity to attend meetings of the Canadian Marine Advisory Council (CMAC) and share your views on marine safety and security.
The opportunity is open to government, the marine industry, unions and the general public.
You are invited to comment on changes to marine safety and security regulations by attending regional or national meetings of the CMAC.
The CMAC represents parties with an interest in shipping, navigation and marine pollution concerns. We advise the government on issues and opportunities related to marine safety and security, and release reports each year based on our findings.
Five regional CMAC meetings take place in the Pacific, Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic, and Prairie and Northern regions. The national CMAC meeting is held in Ottawa and is made up of standing committees and working groups.
- For topics and issues we address in these meetings, read about our nine National CMAC standing committees
- For changes to regulations that affect marine transportation, see Recently published marine regulations
CMAC standing committees
Standing Committee on Construction and Equipment
This committee discusses topics involving:
- lifesaving and fire equipment
- structural and electrical requirements
- load lines
Standing Committee on Domestic Vessel Regulatory Oversight
This committee discusses regulations, policies and initiatives related to the inspection and certification of Canadian non-pleasure vessels of all sizes.
Standing Committee on the Environment
This committee discusses environmental issues facing the marine sector in Canada, with a focus on Transport Canada's regulatory program. Issues include:
- pollution prevention
- environmental response
- compensation and liabilities
- ballast water management
- transfer of invasive species
- climate change
Standing Committee on Fishing Vessel Safety
This committee discusses topics that involve:
- design, construction, operation, compliance and crewing
- certification and training requirements for crew
Standing Committee on Marine Security
This committee discusses marine transportation system security. It advises the federal government on domestic and international marine security initiatives.
Standing Committee on Navigation and Operations
This committee discusses:
- navigation safety
- ship radio communications
- cargo and ship operations
Standing Committee on Personnel
This committee discusses:
- crewing and certification
- schools and training for marine personnel
- medical examination requirements for marine personnel
Standing Committee on Recreational Boating
This committee discusses specific topics on recreational boating.